The AED Project
AEDs for Second Ave
This is an AED. It weighs approximately 2.4 Lbs.
Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) can cause death if not treated within minutes. The chances of survival increase with rapid response.
SCA is not limited to the elderly or the sedentary.
SCA is not just a problem for the sedentary person, it also affects athletes, especially amateur athletes.
An Automated External Defibrillator (AED) automatically diagnoses the potentially life threatening cardiac arrhythmias, and is able to treat them through defibrillation, the application of electrical therapy. Defibrillation stops the arrhythmia, allowing the heart to re-establish an effective rhythm.
An AED can be lifesaving in Niwot CO. For every one minute delay in defibrillation, the survival rate of a cardiac arrest victim decreases by 7 to 10%. In fact, performing CPR and using an Automated External Defibrillator before emergency medical services arrive can increase the chances of survival up to 75%.
Sudden Cardiac Arrest
– Nationwide, over 7,000 children and young adults die each year from cardiac issues. In most cases, their lives could have been saved with Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and a portable AED.
– Athletic children are particularly susceptible to sudden cardiac arrest. Survival rates can jump from 5%, to nearly 75% with the availability of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) on site and properly trained responders.
– Introducing an EKG test as a preventable measure could detect two thirds of “deadly, concealed heart trouble aggravated by exercise in competition.”
– More than 3.5 million kids under age 14 receive medical treatment for sports injuries each year.
– Only a few states have laws that require sports teams, clubs and facilities to have First Aid and CPR certified coaches and have an AED on site.
New American Heart Association stats released; 26 kids die from sudden cardiac arrest everyday! (9000 arrests in children every year). 82% occur during competition or training.
Colorado Good Samaritan Law
13-21-108. Persons rendering emergency assistance exempt from liability.
Integral CrossFit along with Mountain VIew Fire are working to provide CPR and AED training in Niwot.